Saturday, September 3, 2016

I got some new toys, I mean new tools!

As a knitter and knitting designer it is important to have quality yarn, but it's also important to have quality needles. I love the interchangeable knitting needles. I started with Knit Picks Harmony and expanded to acquire Knitters' Pride Dreamz short tips (great for hat knitting), Karbonz (carbon fiber), Knit Picks Caspian needle set, a few smaller tips size 3 mm and 3.25 mm purchased from Knit Pro in Europe. The great thing about Knit Picks, Knit Pro and Knitter's Pride is that their tips and cables are all compatible. Why do I need so many different tips and knitting needles? I love knitting gloves, socks and sleeves using magic loop technique with 2 knitting needles. For this you will need 2 sets of needles in one size. Another reason is different yarn fibers and knitting needle materials work great together. For example a slick yarn works better with a little rougher wood or bamboo needle. A rougher wool yarn might work better with some slick nickel tips. Another reason is that different knitting needle materials create different knitting gauges.

So here come my new toys, I mean tools! I purchased the new Knitter's Pro Zing Interchangeable Deluxe Knitting Needle Set. At this time this set is only available in Europe. I purchased it at Woolstack. Follow link to purchase. Woolstack sells internationally and ships quickly and Lisa communicates great. I received my needles within a week at a reasonable price.

Here are some pictures and my review:






Pros:

  • I love that the tips are in different colors and have the metric size laser printed in a legible size on all needles. Cables are for the different sizes in different colors too.
  • The tips are smooth and it is a pleasure to work with. 
  • The set comes at an affordable price.
  • And most of all: They are pretty!
Cons:
  • I'd like to see smaller tips like US size 2.5 (3 mm) and US 3 (3.25 mm)

What's in the box:

Knitting Needle Tips
Metric Sizes: 3.5, 4.0, 4.5, 5.0, 5.5, 6.0, 7.0 and 8.0 mm
US Sizes: 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 10.75 and 11

Cables
1 x to make 60 cm (24") - Neon Green
2 x to make 80 cm (32") - Orange
1 x to make 100 cm (40") - Red
Note: Final cable length is achieved when both needles and cables are joined together.

Accessories
1 needle case
8 plastic end caps
4 tightening keys
1 set of cable connectors

I purchased some additional tips to complete my set:

Knitter's Pro Zing US size 5 (3.75 mm)
Knitter's Pro Nova Metal US size 2.5 (3 mm) and US 3 (3.25 mm) - these are not available as Zing needles.




Please note that the Zing tips can also purchased as short tips. They are designed especially to be used with the 40 cm cable (making a knitting length of 40 cm/16 inches). Ideal for those knitting smaller items. Link to the short tips is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment