Monday, February 1, 2016

Knitting Poncholina and playing with colors

One of my BMX friends asked me to knit her a Poncholina and incorporate her team logo. The colors are red, yellow and black. Instead of dyeing the yarn firsy I knitted the Poncholina in white and black and dyed the finished logo. My Ravelry project page can be found here.



How do you do that?


  1. I soaked the garment in lukewarm water and 1 cup of distilled vinegar for 30 min. 
  2. I prepared the color while my garment was soaking. I mixed 3 single packages of yellow koolaid (lemonade) and 2 cups of hot water.
  3. I squeezed excess water from garment and lay it on a flat surface. I put som plastic bags under it.
  4.  I painted the yellow area by hand on both sides until I had the right color. I let it set for a few minutes.
  5. Then I prepared the red color in a crockpot. 5 packages of red koolaid (punch) and a small crockpot half filled with water.
  6. I folded the poncholina in half and dipped the hood and bottom part until I got almost to the yellow area. I raised it and just left the top of the hood and the bottom in for a little longer to get the ombre effect (lighter to darker red)
  7. I held it until the water in the crockpot got lighter and I had reached the desired color.
  8. I set my oven on warm and lay the poncholina on a baking sheet and warmed it in the oven for the colors to set for about 20 minutes.
  9. I washed the poncholina in a large bowl with a little dawn dish detergent and a half cup of distilled vinegar.
  10. I rinsed until water was clear.
  11. I squeezed the excess water out and lay it flat on a towel to dry.

I am very pleased with the outcome and hope my friend likes it.



No comments:

Post a Comment